Re: some problem with debian-sparc-linux

>Hi,
>Now that the problem with my keyboard has been solved, there
>are still a few minor problems with my sparc-linusx installation
>
>1) Configuration of serial ports: At boot, I get the message:
>
>Configuring serial port failed ...
>Trying to load the serial modules manually
>insmod serial: no modules by that name found
>Cannot autoconfigure port: invalid argument
>Cannot autoconfigure port: invalid argument
>done
>/dev/ttyS2: operation not support by device
>/dev/ttyS3: operation not support by device
>
>What I have done wrong. I have never configure the serial port and in
>the installation menu, I was never asked to do so.

It looks like the setserial package thinking it's an i386. Don't worry
about it, the serial ports work.

>2) X installation: The package xbase_3.3.2.2-1.1_sparc.deb on
>ftp.netg.se:/pub/Linux/sparc/X can't be installed because it required
>ncurse-base (>= 1.9.9g-86) while that on the system is 1.9.9g-8. So I
>have gto install of the main ftp site xbase_3.3.1-2.deb instead.

Err, I see an ncurses-base 1.9.9g-8.8 in the archives...

>3) nis_2.10-1.deb can't be installed, it requires the old libc5 and
>libgdbm1, both of them I can't find on the ftp site. (Alos why nis
>isn't compiled with the new libc6 ?)
>
>1) and 2) do not seem to have any visible effect to the operation of
>the system, but 3) is a problem. The machine have been part of the
>network through NIS and I can't afford to lost this facility. Have any
>one succeed in installing nis in a sparc-linux system ?

I have used nis on debian-sparc in the past (I don't currently - I expect
to again shortly, as my home network is getting a bit big). IIRC, there
were some problems with compiling nis with libc6 on sparc - though I don't
recall what they were. Anyway, libc5 and libgdbm1 are both in oldlibs,
so, while not libc6, it should still work.

Regards,
/Anders

Anders Hammarquist   |       Mud at Kingdoms        | iko@netg.se
NetGuide Scandinavia |   telnet kingdoms.se 1812    | Fax: +46 31 50 79 39
http://www.netg.se   |                              | Tel: +46 31 50 79 40