dpkg 1.4.0.22

Hello,

  I compiled the latest dpkg but it fails to run.  dpkg & dselect hang before
reading the database.

Anybody succeeded in compiling & running dpkg >= 1.4.0.21 ?
It seems the sysvinit package (2.74-4) requires a more recent release that the
one currently available in hamm for sparc (1.4.0.8).
I've got some times ago a 1.4.0.20 release from a developer's site (don't
remember the path ;-( ) but it does not solve my problem.

Thanks in advance.