cvs problem

I have a problem with cvs on a Sparcstation 5 running Debian. I don't
know if the problem really is at my side though. I'm hooked up to the
net via modem and when I run "cvs update", it sends some data over the
modem, but after a short while, before any updating takes place, the
modem always hangs up on me. This happens less often with small
directories, but then too. It never happens if I do "cvs checkout".

I also run Debian on an Atari, using the same modem, and the same ISP,
it works perfect from there. I also have a ppp connection between the
machines, and running cvs from the Atari via the Sparcstation also
works well.

My brother, running a similar system, but different modem and
different ISP, but otherwise the same setup, does not have this
problem.

All other modem traffic to/from the computer works very well.

Any ideas?

Tomas - tomas[@.]nocrew.org