Re: Latest SILO in sid

On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, Ben Collins wrote:

> I just did an update off of master and the latest silo is broke. It runs
> and seems to install the boot block (haven't rebooted yet), even places
> the old.b in /boot, but it just sits there and hangs until I kill it
> manually.

I actually had this problem recently and tracked it down to a problem with
/proc/openprom/options/.  I had had troubles getting the PROM to invoke
silo ("The file just loaded does not appear executable", etc.) and so
changed the boot-device parameter to the full path to the disk and
partition. printenv showed it as /iommu/sbus/espdma/esp/sd... (or whatever
- that was from memory ;), which I figured was a limitation of the PROM.
However, reading /proc/openprom under Linux gave the same answer, and upon
closer investigation of what silo was up to when it hung, it was getting
stuck in an infinite loop trying to canonicalize "sd...".  Probably a bug
that should be reported to the silo author - I got scared just looking at
silo's prom.c.

--
Jeffrey Sean Connell | Networking/Telecommunications Engineer, GXC
ankh@canuck.gen.nz   | PGP key at http://www.canuck.gen.nz/~ankh/pgpkey.html