Re: SCSI disk on Sparc IPC

>     I'm trying to install linux on a Sun IPC.
>
>     I've put an HP hard disk drive D2077 (2.1 Gb), and when installing
> Solaris to format an label the disk, it doesn't recognize it.
>
>     I haven't found anything about it in HP's WEBs.
>
>    Does anyone knows the number of heads, cylinders, etc to define it ?
> Do I have any other solution ?

Hmm, Solaris' format command is usually able to read the geometry from the disk (using SCSI the inquiry command). When you are at format's main menu (after saying which disk you want to format and telling it you are not ready to label it), type "type" and select 0 (auto configure) and it should figure out what you have.

You can try this by booting the Solaris cd in single user mode (boot cdrom -s or b sd(0,6,0) -s depending on your what proms you have). It will drop you to a root prompt where you can run format.

Regards,
/Anders

Anders Hammarquist                                  | iko@cd.chalmers.se
Not system administrator at DjungelData             | Hem: +46 31 47 69 27
Chalmers University of Technology, G|teborg, Sweden | Mob: +46 707 27 86 87