Re: Gathering opinions: Freeze ?

--On Fri, Nov 20, 1998 2:14 pm -0500 "Maitland Bottoms"
<bottoms@radar.nrl.navy.mil> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Time to de-lurk, I guess. Good, It's even friday afternoon.

Excellent.

> At the beginning of October I installed the then current
> Debian/slink/sparc - and was pleased. Until I exited X. Until I
> realized there was no XEmacs binary.

*grin*

> But I have been able to build my own kernel using kernel-package, and
> both my LANCE and HAPPY MEAL network interfaces work, and my
> multi-threaded C++ application runs and only Oopses sometimes.

*grin*

> The SPARCstation 10 here has been idle for the last 25 days of its 26
> day uptime, and has 8GB of disk space. I could provide some more
> manpower and cpupower.
>
> Hmm, master.debian.org is refusing to talk to me, and although I can
> ssh over to va.debian.org, it seems to have a different set of home
> directories. Hopefully I can find the newest glibc and get a new
> kernel and get started on things today.

Well... actually, we could use your CPU power.

Roman Hodek and James Troup have devised a distributed system for keeping
architectures up to date with i386 (or, more generally, just up-to-date with
source uploads).

We could use this system to dedicate your machine, and mine, to building,
and in a few days we could probably get all packages up to date.

However, first of all, we do need a freeze.  We need a concept of
'frozen/binary-sparc/Packages' for the software to work correctly (I'm
running it on my machine now, but it's happily snarfing the very newest
packages from unstable/main/source, which is no use for frozen).

So, if we get Guy Maor to give us a frozen directory, and then if all people
here who have machines on the internet (behind a firewall is OK, probably)
and are willing to help rally around, we can coordinate a mass recompilation
effort.

Who's up for it?

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@jellybean.co.uk         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |