Re: The time has come ...

On Fri, 20 Nov 1998, Christian Meder wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 20, 1998 at 04:51:32PM +0000, Jules Bean wrote:
> > --On Thu, Nov 19, 1998 4:25 pm +0100 "Christian Meder"
> > <meder@isr.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:

> > > I'll upload new xfree packages which are based on -8 in an hour or so ...
> > > They look pretty stable. I'll forward the patch to the BTS.
> > > Sorry to bypass you, Anders, but I needed a xlib6 (libc5 compat package)
> > for
> > > lesstif compilation urgently.
> >
> > Hmm.
> >
> > They're broken here.
> >
> > xdm causes the kernel to halt (back to PROM prompt - 'program terminated').
> >
> > startx as a user doesn't work (apparently because /dev/fb doesn't exist).
> >
> > startx as root causes the kernel to halt as above.
> >
> > On one occasion when it halted, I saw the message 'modprobe - unable to
> > locate fb' or something like that.
>
> Hmmm ....
>
> Which kernel are you using ?

The version of 2.1.125 you uploaded.

> The only problem which I see on a 2.0.35 is that startx doesn't work as a
> user (like you said above). I don't see any crashes.

I can even tell you why that is.  It's because you don't have permissions
for /dev/fb* .Try running constype as a normal user, and then try as
root.

Also, there doesn't seem to be a symlink from /dev/fb to /dev/fb0 on my
machine, which maybe there should be.

Jules