Followup on unimplemented system calls 103 and 119

I just browsed through Debian-sparc archives, and got a few answers, but I
still have a few questions:

There is a kernel 2.0.35 binary which I could have installed as opposed to
the default 2.0.33... if I were to install this one, would it be
sufficient enough to fix my problems (get rid of the syscall warnings)?

Compiling a kernel, I read something about the kernel couldn't be compiled
with the debian source, and to get a vger source tree... what about a
regular stock source tree? I am considering ATTEMPTING to compile 2.1.125
after I get my system up and running, will I need any extra patches?

I saw a math-emu module on installation... this wouldn't be *needed* by my
SS-2, would it? It has its own FPU, so it shouldn't need any additional
things right?

I also saw a bpp module, what does this jobby do?

Simple Debian administrivia:

 - Instead of using dselect for everything, what if I wanted to manually
invoke dpkg for a few packages? Would dpkg --unpack -R package.deb be
sufficient, or are other arguments required?

 - I've heard of this apt program... is it a new front end to dpkg? I have
also read it is sort of broke and a library must be recompiled.

Thanks in advance.