RE: problem - *OLD* Sun 1/4inch tape dri

Bad news - nothing at id 4 (my tape drive id)

probe-scsi gives 4 devices:
(I forget my sheet of paper with the exact details but the
output was something as follows)

id 1 Hard drive
id 3 Hard Drive
id 4 Tape drive

id 5 CDROM

but cat /proc/scsi/scsi

gives three:

id1 Hard Drive
id3 Hard Drive
id6 CDrom

I've tried compiling in scsi tape support (which I guess is there as
standard anyway) and multiple LUN support (as the output from probe-scsi
suggests multiple LUNs) but still no joy

The tape unit is some QIC-24 based unit I'm presuming.

The kernel is 2.0.33 - should I think of upgrading to 35 (or whatever's
the top stable kernel)?

Please help me from switching back to SunOS........!

Could you do a cat /proc/scsi/scsi to see what the kernel sees on the
bus... it might help in determine if the SCSI tape drive is saying it is
something other than tape drive.

the body of the message to majordomo@vger.rutgers.edu