Definitive Source?

Greetings All,

I just bought a SPARCStation 2 that has a dead OS on it. I want to put
(debian) Linux on it. I got the boot/root from
ftp://vger.rutgers.edu/pub/linux/Sparc/rescue/ and I can boot up the machine.

Now I am wondering where do I begin to fill in to get a running version?
Can I mix and match source code and compile it all by hand? I have found
several readme files that seem to be outdated :( Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

BTW, I am very comfortable with i86 Linux, but I am new to SPARC land.

TIA,
--lms