Re: Mirror stuff...

Chris Trainor <christr@macross.com> writes:

> ok, this isn't exactly on-topic here, but i'm trying to find a mirroring
> program that's like decent.  i tried mirror, and fmirror, and both suck.
> it'll just create symlinks, and not get the darned files.  I just want to
> get the Sparc stuff, I dont' want to have to transfer any of the
> 'binary-all' directories.  (plus, i'd like to be able to make a CD, and
> having to deal with all those stupid links is gonan be a pain).

> does anyone know where I can get just a nice, simple program that will get
> me stuff? I hate updating this by hand. :)

I dealt with the same situation recently, I ended up using rsync with
the -L option to mirror the slink/main/binary-i386 tree off of master.

I have since added contrib, non-free, and non-US (putting everything
in the binary tree, no binary-all), and pruned everything down to fit
on a CD.

I ended up with a tree containing a subset of Debian, which contains
out of date packages.

My solution to this problem was a perl script that syncs all the
packages with a HTTP site.  It will go through main, contrib and
non-free, and fetch the remote Packages files, compare them with local
Packages files, and replace any updated packages.  (It uses wget to
fetch stuff and dpkg to compare version numbers, when necessary.)

This script removes the original version from it's location, but puts
the new version in the directory specified by the "Section" parameter
specified, so with a few changes you could probably use it to build an
initial mirror.

I didn't think the script would be useful to anyone else, as I thought
I was the only person that dumped everything in binary-i386, but I
guess I was wrong.  It needs some polishing (command line switches,
more functionality), but feel free to grab it from:
  http://www.cse.msu.edu/~dunham/debian/update

(There is also a 2.1.x compatible dhcpcd in the same directory, which
should compile and run on the Sparc.)

Steve
dunham@cse.msu.edu