Re: Net boot with tftp

On Tue, Aug 25, 1998 at 12:28:04PM +0100, Jules Bean wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Aug 1998, Stephen J. Carpenter wrote:
>
> > I am doing some work on "Diskless XTerminals"
> > (http://people.delphi.com/sjc/linux)
> > I decided to give it a try with my SUN IPC.
> > To do this I need a custom kernel so I built one with NFSROOT and bootp
> > both on.
> >
> > I did a make vmlinux in the kernel TLD mostly because I have found
> > "make zImage" and "make bzImage" to NOT work on the Sparc :( and
> > when i built my custom kernel (which I am currently using) on the sparc
> > I did a "make vmlinux" to make it...
> >
> > I rdev'd it to use /dev/nfs and placed it in /boot/ then made the
> > proper sym link so that my IPC could find it...
> > I used the exact same name as tftpboot.img used when I installed
> > Debian on my IPC...used the same IP adress et al
> >
> > I type "boot net" on the IPC and it loads the image....I see the hex numbers
> > scroll up then it stops (like it finished loading) then it just sits there
> >
> > am I doing this wrong?
> >
> > I thought if I just built a kernel and placed it there it would load? is
> > tftpboot.img really anything more than a kernel and a initial ram
> > disk?
> >
> > any help is apreciated
> >

> Pad the file tftpboot.img to a multiple of 4 bytes long (with dd, for
> example.  Search this mailing list for good approaches.

ok....it was size (as reported by ls) 1166361 ....by my calcs needs 3 bytes
more to be a multiple of 4.

so I do
dd if=vmlinux of=vmlinux- ibs=4 conv=sync

and it comes out 1166364

Now if I boot net (after moving vmlinux- to vmlinux ;) )
it starts to load,....and counts up in hex
then rather than locking up and waiting for me to hit stop-a to
get back to the prom OK prompt....
it just jumps right back to 'OK' without any error or anything

under my i386 system I do:

[root@Shit-Box sunboot]$file vmlinux
vmlinux: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, SPARC, version 1

hmmm any ideas?

-Steve
E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"