Re: It Worked!

On Wed, Aug 12, 1998 at 11:43:15PM +0200, Eric Delaunay wrote:
> sjc@delphi.com wrote:
> >
> > Ok I have Sparcy booted through netboot (was easy once I figured it out
> > ...many thanks to Adam Haberlach for his help)
> >
> > There has been talk of a new web page for debian-sparc (I tried to view the
> > URL but was given an error)...well...heres some notes of mine that should
> > be documented...
> >
> > both rarp and arp must be setup with the IP and hardware adress of the
> > sparc. I was told about rarp..and figured out arp too on my own (I love
> > tcpdump)...then I also found it in the mailing list archives.
>
> Well, how do you setup arp ?

simple...[I read man arp ;) ]

arp -s IPADRESS HWADRESS

Why and how I figured it out:

I went to the sun and typed "boot net"

I was running tcpdump to see what it was doing...it asked for its IP
from my rarp server...then it tried to do the tftp...
as soon as the i386 machine recived a packet from 10.0.0.20 it sent
out an arp request "Who has 10.0.0.20?" but (remember im watching
with tcpdump) the Sun Never replied!

I think the reason was that I have PROM version 1.6 which
is a very old PROM...its possible (remember im guessing) that newer
PROMS respond to arp requests during tftp booting

> I was only required to setup rarp tables on my server (i386 debian box).
> Can you explain me in which case you need to also configure arp tables ?
> How do you proceed ?

see above....arp is no harder to do that rarp

> I would want to describe it in the documentation as well.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> > on my system I had to start tftpd without tcpd first AND with -l to
> > work...I didn't try many combonations...but this si the configuration
> > which worked for me
>
> Did you registered your new hostname on the server ? (eg. in /etc/hosts)
> tcpd will denies connections from unknown hosts if the PARANOID option is set
> in /etc/hosts.deny.

Yes I did BUT...I always turn OFF PARANOID because um...I hate it :)

> > ahem...all the docs I read said that Linux currently has no disk partitioning
> > utility (in fact it says that in a text file in the disks-sparc
> > directory) yet I was presented with a working fdisk during install (it is
> > running the install downstairs now)
>
> Which document said there is no fdisk ?  A sparc specific one ?
> I'm pretty sure I removed such references from my own docs (at least the
> release notes provided along with sparc boot disks).

hmmm well the releace notes were where I read it ....

> > um what have I forgot...oh yea...the zero padding tftpboot.img worked for me
> > too ;)
>
> Good news :-))

yup :)

-Steve
E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"