Re: It Worked!

sjc@delphi.com wrote:

> Ok I have Sparcy booted through netboot (was easy once I figured it out
> ...many thanks to Adam Haberlach for his help)
>
> There has been talk of a new web page for debian-sparc (I tried to view the
> URL but was given an error)...well...heres some notes of mine that should
> be documented...
>
> both rarp and arp must be setup with the IP and hardware adress of the
> sparc. I was told about rarp..and figured out arp too on my own (I love
> tcpdump)...then I also found it in the mailing list archives.

Well, how do you setup arp ?
I was only required to setup rarp tables on my server (i386 debian box).
Can you explain me in which case you need to also configure arp tables ?
How do you proceed ?
I would want to describe it in the documentation as well.

Thanks in advance.

> on my system I had to start tftpd without tcpd first AND with -l to
> work...I didn't try many combonations...but this si the configuration
> which worked for me

Did you registered your new hostname on the server ? (eg. in /etc/hosts)
tcpd will denies connections from unknown hosts if the PARANOID option is set
in /etc/hosts.deny.

> ahem...all the docs I read said that Linux currently has no disk partitioning
> utility (in fact it says that in a text file in the disks-sparc
> directory) yet I was presented with a working fdisk during install (it is
> running the install downstairs now)

Which document said there is no fdisk ?  A sparc specific one ?
I'm pretty sure I removed such references from my own docs (at least the
release notes provided along with sparc boot disks).

> um what have I forgot...oh yea...the zero padding tftpboot.img worked for me
> too ;)

Good news :-))

Regards.