Re: New to the game

We have had some problems getting the 670s to run anything above Solaris 2.3.
Network daemons tend to die on their own and at one point we put in a cron job to
make sure they were up.
You are right about the 470s running 2.4. In fact, I am told that one of the
systems coming is currently loaded with it.
We were hoping to be able to run Linux on the 670s so we could run some software
for a project in distributed systems using graphics. We have been unable to
compile the software on any of our other systems (sun,sgi, and then some) except
for those boxes running linux.
There appears to be a compatability issue between the package and the OS.
Thanks for the advise on the maillist. I plan on heading there right now.

Anders Hammarquist wrote:

> >I work at the University of New Orleans Department of Computer Science.
> >We recently recieved 3 670MP and two 470 SparcServers as a donation.
> >Since we are unable to run the current versions of Solaris on them and
> >we have very little interest in SunOS, we are looking into the
> >possibility of running Linux on these boxes (there is some very cool
> >distributed apps out there).  At this point, I have been told that linux
> >will not run on these boxes.  I am therefore looking for sources of
> >information and research on running linux on these boxes. Thanks in
> >advanced!!
>
> First off, you can run Solaris 2.5.1 (and probably later if you beat them
> up a bit) on the 670's. Linux should also run on the 670's, however there
> are no drivers for the VMEbus, so anything you have on the VME will be
> unusable from Linux.
>
> The 470's are are a bit tougher (you're stuck with 2.4 if you want Solaris).
> There are people working on a sun4 port (and it's running on the 300-series)
> you should talk to sparc@vger.rutgers.edu, there have been some sun4
> discussions there in the last few days. (Once there is a kernel to boot
> the 400-series, the Debian Sparc port should work just fine on them.)
>
> Regards,
> /Anders
>
> --
>  -- Of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.
> Anders Hammarquist   |       Mud at Kingdoms        | iko@netg.se
> NetGuide Scandinavia |   telnet kingdoms.se 1812    | Fax: +46 31 50 79 39
> http://www.netg.se   |                              | Tel: +46 31 50 79 40

Thanks,Richard