problem with the debian sparc autofs

	I have had problem with the automounter autofs. It doesn't
work reliably. On many occasions, it dosen't mount the directory which
it should (but sometime it works). And in the case it dosen't mount,
there is no way to force it to mount: cd to the target directory can
result into the shell being freezed. I just wonder of the problem come
from the mount which fails. But I have no trouble to mount by hand.
	Another thing is that NIS (client) seems to interfere with
autofs, typing /etc/autofs status I see that it lists several mount
points which I have never configured in the auto.master file
(obviously the information is provided by NIS). So I may very well
leave my auto.master file empty (but then I have no control whatever
on the mount options).
	So I would like to know:

1) Is there a problem with autofs or my configuration is wrong (as it
stands, there is redundency from may auto.master and NIS)

2) I see that there is the package amd on the net. How is it differs
from the autofs package. Would it works better.

3) Since nis and autofs could try to produce overlapping (and
conflicting) maps, can I configure nis to stop sending map to
automount (as it seems to do). Would it help ?

	The bottom line is that quite often, when an user is logged
in, his/her home directory (on the NSF server) is not mounted and I
don't know why ?

	Thank for any help.