Compiling Packages

I just inheireted a Sparc 2, and I've noticed that there are a few less
packages Debian Sparc than for x86. What is the easiest/best way to
compile existing packages for x86, not only for my own use, but for the
main distribution site?

I can probably handle a decent amount of porting, if that is nessacary to
get any particular package to compile. Are the debianized sources
available for x86 packages so that I can just grab those and start
compiling?

Also, would it be worth my time to setup a cross-compiler on my 2x166 SMP
machine to compile things more quickly?

Dave Broudy		dave@broudy.net