SPARC 2 floppy boot fails

Hi there!

Be gentle with me - I'm new to the debian-sparc effort..

I have just got hold of two Sparc 2s, and have (of course!) decided to try
putting debian on them.  I'm using the newest boot-disks from a debian
mirror.

One of the sparcs appears to have a buggered floppy drive (it won't boot off
any disks, and fails its own floppy self-test).

The other, however, will begin to boot.  Specifically, it will load SILO,
and then display the 'boot:' prompt (complaining about my boot-file
variable, which is fair enough).  <TAB> tells me that the image is called
linux (so it can read silo.conf, I guess). So, I boot 'linux', and I get:

boot: linux

Read error on block 50

Cannot find /linux (Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in
short read)

Image not found... try again

Now, I would assume that the floppy was buggered.  But I have rewritten the
floppy (including onto brand-new disks) and the problem persists.  I would
then assume that the floppy drive was damaged (since this is quite an old
machine) - except that by browsing through the list archives, I see that
other people have had exactly the same problem (specifically on block 50).
It was mentioned that this might be a ROM problem - my ROM version is 2.4.

This is not actually going to cause me all that much problem, since I will
net-boot and net-install these machines when my transceivers arrive for
them.  However, it occurs to me that this may be a debian boot-disk
problem - and if it is, I'm happy to help fix it - I can program, and I'm
even a debian developer.

Regards,

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@jellybean.co.uk         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |