Re: Remote Booting Question/Problem on IPC

On Tue, 7 Jul 1998, Scott Omar Burch wrote:

> I setup tftp on another Linux box and added rarp and arp entries for the
> IPC. I copied the tftpboot.img file to the tftp directory I specified in
> the init scritpt and created a symbolic link to the file named with the
> machines hex hardware address and a .SUN4C extension.

The symbolic link should be the machine's hex IP address, not its
hardware address.  When you try to boot the IPC check your logs for
what image it's trying to tftp (or in the absence of logs, truss -f
the inetd process and watch what tftp opens) and make sure it matches
the link you provided.

I don't turn IPs into hex in my head very easily so I wrote the
following for the purpose.

#!/usr/local/bin/perl -w
#
# turn a decimal IP address into its hex equivalent

use integer;

my $ip = shift;
die "Usage: $0 <ip address>\n" unless defined $ip;

my @nums = split(/\./, $ip);

foreach my $num (@nums) {
    my $high = $num / 16;
    my $low = $num % 16;
    my $a_val = ord('A') - 10;

    if ($high < 10) { print $high; }
    else { print chr($a_val + $high); }

    if ($low < 10) { print $low; }
    else { print chr($a_val + $low); }
}

print "\n";

--
Paul Phillips      | Something you might be allergic to - Skiing
Cat Juggler        |     -- heard on Family Feud