Re: silo problem

On Tue, 17 Feb 1998, Davide Barbieri wrote:

> 	I'm still trying to have a silo working with glibc.
>
> I had some problems, with some assembler code.
>
> There is a file, called jmp.S which defines the symbol
> __setjmp, which is also defined in /usr/lib/libc.a
>
> So, when it is time to link silo, I had this error:
> /usr/lib/libc.a(setjmp.o): In function `_setjmp':
> setjmp.o(.text+0x0): multiple definition of `__setjmp'
> jmp.o(.text+0x0): first defined here
> make: *** [second] Error 1

The problem is that the second stage bootloader links with libc to bring
in some minor functions like the strcmp and such. Ideally, it should be
linked without libc just like the kernel.

Linking with libc gets into conflicts just like you encountered. The fix
is as follows:

1) Modify the Makefile so the second stage bootloader no longer links with
libc. Obviously, the userlevel "silo" utility needs to link with libc as
usual.

2) Add implementations of any functions that become "missing".

Jakub, what do you think?

Tom