Re: New name for glibc-sparc?

 > 	The `glibc-sparc' *source* package is what we are using now as
 > the sources for libc6 in Sparc; however, there's nothing
 > sparc-specific on it, it's just a newer version of the `glibc' used in
 > other architectures.  We need another source package name so that the
 > two versions can coexist.

 > 	It's used mainly on Sparc, but it may be used in other archs
 > sooner or later.  The `powerpc' people, for example, is willing to use
 > it, and we may try to use it for i386 after Debian 2.0 is released.

 > 	However, I would like to change its name: `glibc-sparc' seems
 > very sparc-specific, and I would like to hear your suggestions on this
 > issue.  How about `glibc-pre2.1'?  (it's based on pre-alpha versions
 > of glibc-2.1).

 > 	(BTW: I would like to use `glibc-alpha', but that could
 > confuse the AXP people :))

 > 	Other alternatives would be `glibc-beta', `glibc-exp',
 > `glibc-devel'...

 > 	Comments?
Are you adding the actual date of the snapshot? In that case you might
consider calling it just e.g. glibc-snapshot-980202.

>From the names you suggested I only like glibc-pre2.1: glibc-alpha is
confusing in a double sense (we don't call them alpha versions,
they're snapshots), glibc-beta is even worse (glibc-2.0.92 could be
called an alpha/beta but not the snapshots), glibc-exp (experimental -
I don't like it but it's better than alpha/beta) and finally
glibc-devel which might imply that you need it _for_ development.

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger   aj@arthur.rhein-neckar.de    jaeger@informatik.uni-kl.de
  for pgp-key finger ajaeger@alma.student.uni-kl.de