glibc-2.1 & string optimizations

  I discovered a problem with string optimizations in glibc 2.1 because each
str... function is overriden by a macro which uses its arguments multiple
times (see bits/string2.h).  For instance, you cannot write something like
	strcmp( *++argv, "foo" )
anymore.  However, many programs are based on such constructs :-(

In order to avoid this kind of bug when recompiling a program for glibc 2.1,
and since these macros extensively use GNU C extensions, I think they could be
rewritten either as inline functions or statements enclosed in parentheses to
evaluate their arguments no more than one time.

Any comments?