Re: Install Woes :(

Udjat the BitMeister... wrote:
> (Second post cause I dont think the first on made it  through SORRY!)
>
>     I am trying to install debian-sparc. But I have the following issues:
>
> Net booting work untill the point it says:
>
> --- begin
>
> Root-NFS: Got RARP anwser from 10.0.0.1 my address 10.0.0.9
> Root-NFS: Got file handle for /tftpboot/10.0.0.9 via RPC
> VFS: Mounted root (nfs filesystem)
> Freeing unused kernel memory: 36k code, 4k data
>
> --- end
>
> Then it just hangs, the network is transfering lots data but nothing is
> happening. I have let it sit for over an hour. I need help setting of nfs
> correctly.
>
> Setup: Sparc 1+ serial console [no monitor]
>
> Please help!

It seems to be a problem with devices.  Did you use GNU tar to extract
root.tgz? (eg. SUN tar doesn't handle devices so they are extracted as plain
files :-( ).

Also, /dev/nfs is missing on the debian-sparc-root, so you should add
it yourself:
  mknod b 0 1 /tftpboot/debian-sparc-root/dev/nfs

Moreover, fdisk is missing so you have to:
 .download it from ftp://lix.polytechnique.fr/pub/Linux/debian/sparc/bo/disks-sparc,
 .get it from debian package:
   dpkg --extract util-linux*.deb top
  or
   ar p util-linux*.deb data.tar.gz | tar xvzf - sbin/fdisk
 .or get it from RedHat.
Put it under /tftpboot/debian-sparc/root/sbin.

Last but not least, someone discovered that dselect looks for a binary-i386
directory, not binary-sparc.  It's a bug that will be fix in next release of
boot disks.  In the meantime, you have to proceed using dpkg.

Hope this helps.
Eric.