Re: Meta-FAQ: IMPORTANT UPDATE

On Tue, 17 Jun 1997, Tethys SYSTEM ADMIN X wrote:

> The only good lawyer is a dead lawyer.

Please be nice.  In my opinion, a non-dead lawyer representing for free
the point of view expressed in this thread is slightly better than a dead
one.

> To assume that the word sparc
> in a URL implies sponsorship by SI is ludicrous beyond belief. Whilst
> I appreciate you don't have the time/money/inclination to contest the
> issue, but surely a disclaimer saying "This site isn't sponsored by SI"
> would have been enough.

I believe you are absolutely correct.  I don't believe the issue of
textual use of marks within URLS has been litigated, but within the
context of my limited understanding of existing intellectual property law,
your argument seems persuasive.

On the other hand don't we all want the sparclinux project to be clearly
differentiated from Sun and their products?  I don't want anyone to think
that Sun sponsored the project -- I would be concerned about reverse
dillution of Linus's and the Linux community's "mark".

/*  Jason E. Gorden                Network Planning and Support (NPS) */
/*  ccgorden@showme.missouri.edu   Campus Computing                   */
/*  Columbia, Missouri 65201       200 Heinkel Building               */
/*  (573) 882-2000                 University of Missouri             */