cross-built filesystems?

Is it possible to cook up a complete sparc-linux system by mounting
the SCSI drive on an x86 linux box?  I've read through the ext2fs code
in the past and been dismayed by the lack of byte-order options (there
are some easy ways to get it right, too) so I'd guess that it wouldn't
work on machines of differing byteorder (sparc is bigendian, x86 is
littleendian...) but I haven't looked at 2.1 yet...