Re: Nightly builds of sourceforge (e.g. glx)

On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Ben Armstrong wrote:

> This is an idea I've been tossing about with some other developers
> on irc.  It would be nice to have an automated build (nightly or
> otherwise) of sourceforge.  My particular area of interest is glx
> at:
>
> 	http://utah-glx.sourceforge.net/
>
> I am told that all I need to do is get it from CVS and execute
>
> 	debian/buildsnap
>
> Still, this is a bit more painful than necessary ... if *every*
> Debian user had to do this, just think of the waste of time &
> effort.  Why can't a debian.org box do a debian/buildsnap for
> glx (and, indeed, as many other sourceforge packages as possible)
> and put them up as a debian-snap (or debian-woody-snap?) distro
> to add as a deb line to apt/sources.list?

Or indeed, any other CVS project.  Sourceforge or not. The GNOME CVS tree
springs to mind.  (it's with GNOME in mind that Jim started the -snapshots
list, I believe)

I think this is an excellent idea.

As a wrinkle, I'd suggest that each CVS package be treated as a different
section (in the sense that contrib and main are currently different
sections), so that the sources.list looks like this:

deb http://lully.debian.org/debian-snaps potato glx enlightenment \
quakeforge

The reason I think that this may be wise is that some packages
debian-snaps may have C/R/P lines which might cause apt or dselect to
auto-select, which would be inadvisable unless you explicitly want them.

I.e., I think that even though I have the debian-snaps line in my
souirces.list, I should be made to explicitly 'opt-in' to each
development package out there.

> Then those of us who like "bleeding edge" stuff could one-stop-shop
> for binary packages of all the latest-and-greatest.
>
> The only possible wrinkle is that on any given day a build could fail (or
> build a crappy package) so being able to fall back "n" builds to the
> last "known good" build if things break would be a nice frill.

This is a very good point.  No super-cunning answers spring to mind.
Maybe someone else can think of one.

Jules