Re: Programmatically find out which Debian release should be used with a specific snapshot

On Wed, 25 Nov 2020, Matteo Savini wrote:

> Hi All,
> I'm pretty new to Debian and I'm trying to understand if a particular
> task can be performed or not.

> I'm building a lot of docker images for specific packages versions,
> some of which are quite old.

> Using a simple script I can query the API and find out that the
> snapshot 20160903T165608Z, i.e., installs perl-5.22.2-5.

> How can I guess which Debian release I should use as a docker base
> image to properly install that specific package?

I believe there is no way without downloading Packages for all releases
first (at that given date).  We were going to do that in the scope of
nd_freeze_install (to supplement nd_freeze) in
https://github.com/neurodebian/neurodebian/pull/70 but iirc never
finished that part, or may be did since some related code seems to
be there
https://github.com/neurodebian/neurodebian/pull/70/files#diff-35eaa674ffb508d12a06cbf2c981a4ae28f097cfe5fc1bc493e77d7e6ed4e406R240

May be it could give you a "starting point" or may be you would like to
try it out/progress forward -- would be awesome

Cheers,
--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko
Center for Open Neuroscience     http://centerforopenneuroscience.org