Re: snapshots.debian.org hashes?

On Fri, 05 Aug 2011, Paul Wise wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-08-03 at 10:44 +0200, Peter Palfrader wrote:
>
> > That's all the .dsc files that snapshot knows about, not limited to
> > those in the ftp.debian.org archive but also including security,
> > backports, debian-ports and so.
>
> Thanks for the info, very helpful.
>
> What would the preferred way to query that list of hashes?

For now, just ask the database on stabile.  If it turns out you need it
more often and need to do it over the net we can figure something out
later.

> > The hash function currently used by snapshot is SHA-1.
>
> Hmm, I note that some of the Sources files exported by our derivatives
> only contain MD5 hashes, not the newer Checksums-Sha1 fields. I will
> send a mail to the relevant derivatives about this, but...
>
> Can we expand the list of available hashes to MD5, SHA-1 and SHA-256?

Not easily.  The hashes are used by snapshot to identify files, and they
make up the largest part of the database.  Duplicating or even
triplicating that amount would increase the size of the DB too much I
fear.