Re: snapshot.debian.org & debian-ports.org

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 06:11:43PM +0200, Peter Palfrader wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Apr 2011, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
>
> > [Please Cc: me for the answer, as I am not subscribed to the list]
>
> Sorry for the late reply.  I read your mail a while ago and then
> promptly forgot about it. :)

Ok, I understand. Didn't realize earlier you were also behind this
service :).

> >   - How is the snapshot process done? Does it tries to parse the
> >     Packages.gz file to know what to fetch, or does it tries to have a
> >     snapshot of the whole debian/ tree?
>
> Snapshot is tree agnostic.  At the snapshotting level it couldn't tell a
> warez site from a debian archive.  It just takes a tree and imports all
> the regular files, symlinks and directories it finds.
>
> The bin and src package search is then implemented on top of that.

Ok, fine.

> >   - Are you able to detect if snapshot.debian.org get outdated (for
> >     example in case of problem with the mirroring pulse)? If not we
> >     can probably develop something on our side comparing the trace
> >     files.
>
> We could probably monitor the d-ports equivalent of
> http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian/29990101/project/trace/ftp-master.debian.org
>
> but at this time no such monitoring is deployed.

Yes, it's what I add in mind. I'll see if I can come with script, I
guess it might be useful for the main archive too.

> >   - Could the debian-ports.org people get notified a bit in advance if
> >     you plan to stop snapshotting it, so that we can be prepared to
> >     restore it our side?
>
> I don't plan on stopping.  But if we do, and we remember to let you
> know, we will (Sorry, that's the best I can promise).

Ok, fine.

> >   - Do the snapshot.debian.org people have any objections if we rely
> >     on them for the debian-ports.org snapshots?
>
> This really depends on what kind of guarantees you are looking for.

I think given you are running the service, you are already aware of its
value, and you'll make everything so that it doesn't happen. I hope it
will never happen, however if it is the case, the kind of warranty we
would like is debian-ports being handled like the main debian archive.

Aurelien

--
Aurelien Jarno                          GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73