Re: Strange snapshot repository behaviour

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010, Brad Milne wrote:

> First, thanks for such a great service. It's fantastic to synchronise
> upgrade paths of multiple environments.

Thanks.  Glad that you like it.

> I have a query though: Looking, for example, at the python-minimal package.
> According to the site
> browser<http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian/20100122T215428Z/pool/main/p/python-defaults/>,
> python-minimal_2.5.4-9_all.deb was in since 2010-01-22 21:54:28 . Using a
> snapshot date equal to or after this, however, is still pulling in  2.5.2-3,
> i.e. an older version!

Currect, this means that on this day the python-minimal_2.5.4-9_all.deb
package was on the _ftp-server_.  It does not necessarily imply that it
was part of any releases (i.e. the Packages files).

> > deb http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian/20100204T000000Z/ lenny main
> > deb-src http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian/20100204T000000Z/ lenny main
> > deb http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian-security/20100204T000000Z/lenny/updates main
> > deb-src http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian-security/20100204T000000Z/lenny/updates main
> > #deb http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian/20100204T000000Z/ testing main

However, in this case python-minimal_2.5.4-9_all.deb was in a release -
it was in unstable.

If you look at the packages file at
http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian/20100122T215428Z/dists/sid/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz
you will find
| Package: python-minimal
| Version: 2.5.4-9
in it.

So, if you want to install this package with apt you can either replace
"testing" in your line with "unstable", or add an unstable line.
Or you could try a couple days later and see if it has migrated to
testing.

If you just want that single package you could also just download it and
use dpkg -i to install it.  This will however not automatically take
care of any dependencies for you.

I hope I could answer your question,
weasel