Re: Please test: Netscape 4.73 packages with CJK support

On Tue, Jul 11, 2000 at 03:51:30PM +0800, Kam Tik wrote:
> Hi Anthony Fok!!
>
> I've got the same program too! Actually, that's the problem that I want to
> ask long time ago. I'm sure that I have installed xfonts-arphic-bsmi00lp
> as I've looked at dpkg -s xfonts-arphic-bsmi00lp, and satified all its
> dependency, i.e. xfs-xtt installed. However, I can't find the arphic
> TrueType fonts.. I can never use it. I heard that TrueType fonts need to
> set something like font path... how can I get it working?

The xfonts-arphic-* packages depend on the ttf-arphic-* packages.
the xfonts-arphic-* only contain the apprpriate aliases, etc.,
whereas the ttf-arphic-* contain the real font.  Likewise, tfm-arphic-*
only contain the TFM files, but not the actual *.ttf files.

Check here:

	/usr/share/fonts/truetype/arphic/*

for the real files.  :-)

For xfs-xtt, it should work out-of-the-box.

Make sure your /etc/X11/XF86Config contains the following and only the
following FontPath:

	FontPath   "unix/:7100"

> Another problem is that, when I use xcin 2.5 to type Chinese in Netscape, it
> works, but after typing 1 Chinese character, xcin 2.5 turned to English mode
> automatically... I need to press Ctrl+Alt+1 once per character?

Which version of xcin 2.5 are you using?  If it is the one from potato,
could you please upgrade to xcin (2.5.1.99.pre3-1) in woody?
(I tried to get it in potato, but it got rejected...)
Please let me know if it solves the problem or not.  If it does, then
congratulations!  And I'll cite this as a valid reason to have
2.5.1.99.pre3 put in potato.

> Here are the problems that I meet. If possible, please reply it soon, as I'm
> writing a related article. Thank you very much!

Did you see my reply to Lincoln Leung?  Do "xlsfonts" and "xfd" show the
fonts to you?

Cheers,

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling                Civil and Environmental Engineering
foka@ualberta.ca, foka@debian.org    University of Alberta, Canada