Re: Big5-HKSCS <-> Unicode gconv module

¡¾ ÔÚ thomas@atlas.datexx.com (Thomas Chan) µÄ´ó×÷ÖÐÌáµ½: ¡¿
: On 7 Jan 2000, ÀÁÀÁÁÔÈË wrote:
: > Precompiled binary:
: >         http://spacehunt.e-fever.dhs.org/BIG5.so
: How does this map?  1) Unicode 3.0 where possible, then PUA; 2) Unicode
: 2.0 where possible, then PUA; or 3) always PUA?

err ..
ISO-10646 v1 where possible, then PUA.
coz ISO-10646 v2 (Unicode 3.0?) has not been released yet.

: > Together with hklocale.tar.gz, a complete Hong Kong locale environment
: > is now available for Linux!  The only thing left now is a good Big5/HKSCS
: > bitmap font (for crxvt etc :p) and a good TrueType font for Netscape,
: For a bitmap font, one can start with the Win 3.1 package for GCCS
: at www.info.gov.hk/gccs, since it includes 16x16, 20x20, and 24x24 .fon
: fonts, convert to .bdf, and combine them with any Big5 font.  Somehow the
: new characters added to bring GCCS->HKSCS will have to be added...
: I've tried converting the 16x16 and 24x24 .fon fonts; see
: http://www.deall.ohio-state.edu/grads/chan.200/cjkv/

wow .. that'd be great!
I'll try that later :p

: I don't recall the license on the www.info.gov.hk/gccs files, though... :/
: A couple of programs were still hardwired for the standard Big5
: coderanges, though... :/

eg crxvt, netscape, xfs-xtt (:p), ......

: Doesn't the Digital 21 page at http://www.digital21.gov.hk/eng/hkscs/
: provide a .tte Truetype font for HKSCS?  Dynalab HK and 5C also have one
: at http://www.dynalab.com.hk/new/HKSCSDL.htm and www.5c.org .  (I haven't
: looked at these, but I recall the GCCS one at www.info.gov.hk/gccs was
: rather ugly.)

Well, if we really wanted to we can use freetype to help generate some
bitmap fonts .. I' haven't really looked into it much yet.

: > and we'll be the first OS to fully support HKSCS!  This would be a good
: > thing to show in LinuxExpo HK next week .. (wahaha am I dreaming? XD)
: Didn't Chinese Windows already do that?  The Digital 21 stuff looks geared
: for Windows.  But if you mean character set conversion and such....

Yup, that's what I meant .. eg some HKSCS chars are already included in
the base font (MingLiU) provided by Windows, but Windows doesn't know
how to map them from Big5 to Unicode and vice versa (eg the "jak" in
"jak yue chung" (Quarry Bay))

: Do you have input methods?  www.info.gov.hk/gccs had Cangjie for GCCS
: (I've converted this once too...) and I think Digital 21 had Cangjie for
: HKSCS...  But I personally don't know how to use Cangjie. :/

Q9 (http://www.qcode.com) supports HKSCS already, but it's currently
disabled for the Linux version. However I've been using the HKSCS-enabled
version at office for a few days already without any problems.
But I'm not sure whether we will actually release the HKSCS-enabled
version. (hey, spacehunt, stop advertising! :p)
--
¡ù À´Ô´ ¡õ e-Fever BBS £À bbs.e-fever.dhs.org ¡õ [From: bbs.e-fever.dhs.org]

--
[ This mail was originally sent to  debian-chinese@lists.debian.org ]
[ and was forwarded to this list automatically. Big5 characters are ]