Re: Big5-HKSCS <-> Unicode gconv module

On 7 Jan 2000, ÃiÃiÂy¤H wrote:

> Precompiled binary:
>         http://spacehunt.e-fever.dhs.org/BIG5.so

How does this map?  1) Unicode 3.0 where possible, then PUA; 2) Unicode
2.0 where possible, then PUA; or 3) always PUA?

> Together with hklocale.tar.gz, a complete Hong Kong locale environment
> is now available for Linux!  The only thing left now is a good Big5/HKSCS
> bitmap font (for crxvt etc :p) and a good TrueType font for Netscape,

For a bitmap font, one can start with the Win 3.1 package for GCCS
at www.info.gov.hk/gccs, since it includes 16x16, 20x20, and 24x24 .fon
fonts, convert to .bdf, and combine them with any Big5 font.  Somehow the
new characters added to bring GCCS->HKSCS will have to be added...

I've tried converting the 16x16 and 24x24 .fon fonts; see
http://www.deall.ohio-state.edu/grads/chan.200/cjkv/

I don't recall the license on the www.info.gov.hk/gccs files, though... :/

A couple of programs were still hardwired for the standard Big5
coderanges, though... :/

Doesn't the Digital 21 page at http://www.digital21.gov.hk/eng/hkscs/
provide a .tte Truetype font for HKSCS?  Dynalab HK and 5C also have one
at http://www.dynalab.com.hk/new/HKSCSDL.htm and www.5c.org .  (I haven't
looked at these, but I recall the GCCS one at www.info.gov.hk/gccs was
rather ugly.)

> and we'll be the first OS to fully support HKSCS!  This would be a good
> thing to show in LinuxExpo HK next week .. (wahaha am I dreaming? XD)

Didn't Chinese Windows already do that?  The Digital 21 stuff looks geared
for Windows.  But if you mean character set conversion and such....

Do you have input methods?  www.info.gov.hk/gccs had Cangjie for GCCS
(I've converted this once too...) and I think Digital 21 had Cangjie for
HKSCS...  But I personally don't know how to use Cangjie. :/

Thomas Chan
tc31@cornell.edu

--
[ This mail was originally sent to  debian-chinese@lists.debian.org ]
[ and was forwarded to this list automatically. Big5 characters are ]