Re: zh_HK.Big5 locale

Hello ÃiÃiÂy¤H,

Ã> Hello everyone,

Ã> I have prepared a Hong Kong locale definition. It's available at:

Ã>         http://spacehunt.e-fever.dhs.org/hklocale.tar.gz

Great to hear that!

Ã> Note that this is not enough to be able to use HKSCS: fonts with HKSCS
Ã> characters are needed; if using xfs-xtt, xfs-xtt also needs to be patched.
Ã> Even with all that, for some reason, it still doesn't work with GTK...

I wonder what the license status for the HKSCS reference font. Since
it is provided by the Hong Kong SAR government, we have a chance to
use it as a free (Freedom) font. Then the font for the extended
charset could be extracted and ported to Linux. Maybe there should be
a seperated font class for the HKSCS in xlocale, this I am not sure.

Ã> However, since HKSCS itself is still a non-standard extension to Big5,
Ã> is this a right thing to do?

I think it is a good thing. One of our goal is to provide convenient
Chinese environment under Linux. A lot of HK users will benefit
from this locale right now. Beside, it will not be hard to
update to the standard later on.

my 2 cents.

Best regards,
 hashao                            mailto:hashao@telebot.com

--
[ This mail was originally sent to  debian-chinese@lists.debian.org ]
[ and was forwarded to this list automatically. Big5 characters are ]