Re: xcin input method

On Sun, Jan 02, 2000 at 10:03:43PM +1100, Shao Zhang wrote:
> 	Thanks for the reply. I am now getting this error:
>
> [21:53|pts/5]s2193893@virge % export LANG=zh_CN.GB2312
> [21:53|pts/5]s2193893@virge % xcin
> xcin: error: X locale "zh_CN.GB2312" is not supported by your system.

Oops!  Sorry about that!  Another bug to fix for Debian 2.2.  We'll contact
the XFree86 maintainer.  Apparently, a tiny patch was missed when Branden
was trying merge upstream patches etc., and zh_CN.GB2312 disappeared from
/usr/lib/X11/locale/locale.dir once again.  Nonetheless, it should be
/fixed in XFree86-3.3.6 in Debian.

The fix is simple though.  Add this line to /usr/lib/X11/locale/locale.dir:

	zh/XLC_LOCALE		zh_CN.GB2312

And you should be able to use xcin once again.  :-)
Another thing: after installing zh-trans, please try
"LANG=zh_CN.GB2312 gnumeric" or gnomecal or gnomecard.  If no Chinese
characters show, edit /usr/lib/X11/locale/zh/XLC_LOCALE
and change

	use_stdc_env		True

	use_stdc_env		False

Now test it again.  Please let me know if it works or not.  :-)
(Special thanks from Yu Mingjian et al.  This fix is documented in
TurboLinux Chinese 4.02's ZWinPro 3.0's Chinput 2.0.  (I tried to make
ZWinPro 3.0 work in Debian, but so far, not much success yet.  I must
be missing something.  :-)

> 	However, if I use zh_TW.Big5 locale, the above works fine.

Yes, indeed.  Thank God!  However, the latest locales package still has
a slight problem: LC_COLLATE for zh_TW.Big5 is not built somehow, and
glibc2's maintainer knows that and is working on it.

> 	Also, it took me sometime to figure out that I actually need to
> 	install the locale-zh package. The main problem is that I am not
> 	even aware there is a such package. I think we should make all
> 	the gb fonts package and xcin and so on at least suggest the
> 	locale-zh package.

Thanks for the suggestion!  That's something I missed!  I'll make xcin
depends or recommends locale-zh.

> 	In addition, I think it would be better if we can take out the
> 	zh_TW stuff from the locales package, and merge with the package
> 	locale-zh to create a new package, something like locales-chinese.
> 	In this case, we can simply make xcin depends on
> 	locales-chinese. Just a suggestion.

Hey, zh_TW.Big5 is also "zh", so no need to call it something
different.  ;-)  (it is also for the sake of uniformity, because there
are similar packages called locale-ja and locale-ko.)

locale-zh is a temporarily package.  As soon as glibc2.x handles
and build zh_{CN,JP,KR}.* properly, locale-{zh,ja,ko} would no longer
be necessary.

Hmm... on second thought, I like your idea.  I am discussing it with
Espy right this moment on irc.debian.org.  I'll let you know how things
turn out.  :-)

Cheers,

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling                Civil and Environmental Engineering
foka@ualberta.ca, foka@debian.org    University of Alberta, Canada

--
[ This mail was originally sent to  debian-chinese@lists.debian.org ]
[ and was forwarded to this list automatically. Big5 characters are ]