Re: TEI -biting the bullet

Woah! I'm sorry to be so late; this one fell trhough the cracks somehow.

> I have a developer tool for Freedict (beta level) that produces the
> following header/prologue.

What is Freedict?

> <?xml version="1.0"  encoding="utf-8"  lang ="en" standalone="no" ?>

As you mention, lang="en" belongs on either the root element or <text>.

> <!DOCTYPE  TEI.2  PUBLIC "-//TEI Consortium//DTD TEI P4//EN"

See below.

> "http://www.tei-c. org/P4X/DTD/tei2.dtd" [
                    ^
Need to nuke the space, of course. But see below.

> <!--this file  auto generated on   Fri Feb  6 16:18:27 2004   by
> dict2xml.py-0.1.3

I haven't figured out if you have control over Freedict or not, but if
you do, you might want to consider putting this information somewhere
in the header as content, instead of a comment. E.g.,
      <sourceDesc>
	    value="2004-02-06T16:18:27">Fri, 06 Feb 04</date> by the
      </sourceDesc>

> Notes: I have used a URI for the system id ...

Once all the path stuff is straightened out (is it already?), any
reason not to use a path, something like
"/user/local/share/xml/TEI/P4/tei2.dtd"?

> ... and the Public ID is generic I got it from their site. (At
> the moment it's not the ONLY one they use)

?? This FPI occurs only in one (pretty outdated, I'm sad to say) page
on SGML to XML conversion. At the time you wrote this there were at
least two others floating about, although I think since then I've
killed one of them. Current doctrine, as much as I dislike it, is
"-//TEI P4//DTD Main Document Type//EN".

> Note: the INCLUDES do some magic to make it XML. and grab the DTD
> / define the structure etc. . (all TEI docs start with the TEI
> element.. AFAIK)

Yes, all TEI P4 documents have a root element of either TEI.2 or
teiCorpus.2 (unless renamed).

> I am also curious as to what to name the application catalog (s)
> i.e.
> /etc/sgml/tei2P4.cat
> and / or
> /etc/xml/tei2P4.xml

I am not claiming that these are at all particularly good names, but
the catalogs that come with the DTDs are called catalog.tei and
teicatalog.xml.

> ... I can find no ... way ... of getting emacs to process XML style
> catalog chains.. A snack with SGML but not the other way around.

I am not aware of any way to do this, either. Perhaps nXML mode?

HTH.