TEI -biting the bullet

Hi list

I know the TEI set of DTD's is an exception to the rest of install path
stuff, but would like to clarify a couple of things ..

(and we have got to do something about update-catalogs  soon.. another
thread perhaps)

Note: This box is part of a tiny (2 -5 machine) network .. it varies :)

I have the DTD's in a couple of places but for the purposes of
discussion lets assume they are coming in via a deb package.

I have a developer tool for Freedict (beta level) that produces the
following header/prologue.

<?xml version="1.0"  encoding="utf-8"  lang ="en" standalone="no" ?>
<!DOCTYPE  TEI.2  PUBLIC "-//TEI Consortium//DTD TEI P4//EN"
"http://www.tei-c. org/P4X/DTD/tei2.dtd" [
<!ENTITY % TEI.XML            "INCLUDE" >
<!ENTITY % TEI.dictionaries "INCLUDE" >
]>
<!--this file  auto generated on   Fri Feb  6 16:18:27 2004   by
dict2xml.py-0.1.3
     <blah blah blah >

Note: must remove that lang='en" attribute ..

Notes: I have used a URI for the system id  and the Public ID is generic
 I got it from their site. (At the moment it's not the ONLY one they
use)
Note: the INCLUDES  do some magic to make it XML. and grab the DTD /
define the structure etc. .  (all TEI docs start with the TEI element..
AFAIK)

Then edited catalog chain to suit.

I guess I should  "install" to :
/usr/share/sgml/tei/dtd/p4
Then  sym link back to sgml tree from :
/usr/share/xml/tei/schema/dtd/p4/catalog.xml

(in real life I have this backwards AND I symlinked everything (all
the DTD's) as with TEI the -//blah//string//en can determine the called
DTD's..and other extensions )

I am also curious as to what to name the application catalog (s)
i.e.
/etc/sgml/tei2P4.cat
and / or
/etc/xml/tei2P4.xml

As it happens I mostly use xemacs (psgml) for -- (well you know emacs
--anything :)
Unless I have the wrong end of the stick I can find no simple way (well
none at all really) of getting emacs to process XML style catalog
chains.. A snack with SGML but not the other way around.

(that is a separate issue but may be worth noting _if it's true_ as it
is a great and widely used app for editing XML/SGML and family)
Short of learning Elisp.. I am a little stuck there. ( I think I may
have to )

Using an SGML based path , with the Prologue  from above all is well.

I was going to write a TEI  installer (To /usr/local/"mirror debian
path(s)' but that can wait .. especially as update-catalog blows away
the users existing configs :)

(in any case I have a work around at the toolkit end .. I just write
valid xml for the user :)

I can just get on with it .. but would like the lists thoughts on where
this should go .. and what we should do about update-catalogs ..(I know
this is being discussed on another thread..

Hope this stirs some thought / input ..

Pete

--
Todays fortune:
<stranger> ok i think i need a polymorphic language with continuations and closures to write this properly

< http://www.gnu.org/software/tetum/ >
< http://bigbutton.com.au/~gossner >
< gossner@arcom.com.au >