Re: question about placements in /usr/share/xml

Mark Johnson <mrj@ibiblio.org> writes:

> On Sat, Jan 31, 2004 at 06:07:40PM -0600, Ardo van Rangelrooij wrote:
>> So, the root SGML catalog file only knows about package
>> SGML catalog files that live in /etc/sgml which on their turn only
>> know about local SGML catalogs living under /usr/share/sgml.
>
> I, again, don't understand the need to put SGML catalogs under
> /usr/share/sgml. There's nothing inconsistent about doing it this way.
[...]
> There's no way that I'll ever agree with what you're proposing. Someone
> else needs to weigh in, so we can get some sort of consensus.

I'm with Mark here.  If I have XML data going in
/usr/share/xml/docbook/4.0/ for instance, obviously I'll have my XML
catalog, /usr/share/xml/docbook/4.0/catalog.xml.  Doesn't it also make
sense to have my SGML catalog, /usr/share/xml/docbook/4.0/catalog ?

Seems to make sense to me, as a user or as a package maintainer.

Symlinks should only be provided to support *legacy* locations --
e.g., the file used to be in /usr/share/sgml/docbook/4.0, but now it's
/usr/share/sgml/docbook/4.0 .

Lets not overcomplicate matters please.  I don't see any reason why
SGML catalogs cannot reside in /usr/share/xml/....  Remember the
catalog is just the registration of some content (a DTD or entity
file).  That is to say, its metadata.  Whether the *content* itself is
SGML or XML should determine whether it goes in /usr/share/sgml or
/usr/share/xml .

--
...Adam Di Carlo...<adam@onshored.com>.......<URL:http://www.onshored.com/>