Re: Help Wanted for dict-jargon

On Sep  1, Bob Hilliard (hilliard@debian.org) wrote:
 > Michael Wiedmann <mw@miwie.in-berlin.de> writes:
 >
 > > * Bob Hilliard <hilliard@debian.org> wrote [030830 15:33]:
 > >
 > >>      The jargon file is no longer distributed as a text file, which is
 > >> what I have used as source for dict-jargon.  The file has been
 > >> converted to XML, using the Docbook XSL. It is now distributed as
 > >> an HTML tarball and as a tarball containing the "masters and the
 > >> production tools used to generate HTML and TeX versions".  These are
 > >> available from http://catb.org/~esr/jargon/jargsrc.tar.gz and
 > >> http://catb.org/~esr/jargon/jargomn-4.4.4.tar.gz.
 > >
 > > The 'Makefile' includes a target 'jargon.txt'. Given you have
 > > installed the 'xmlto' package it should be quite easy to generate a
 > > text file out of the distribution tarball. You might have to figure
 > > out where some used tools (e.g. 'name-extract') come from.
 >
 >      Thanks for your response.  'name-extract' is in the same
 > directory as the Makefile, so that is no problem.
 >
 >      I have tried `make clean', followed by `make jargon.txt'.  This
 > generates over 4000 lines of errors, then hangs.  These errors are
 > primarily `entity not defined'.  jargon-web.xml (a prerequisite for
 > jargon.txt) is generated, but neither the intermediate file
 > jargon-web.txt or jargon.txt is generated.
 >
 >      Where are entities normally defined?  The undefined entities are
 > primarily ones that I would expect to be standard - 'lsquo', 'rsquo',
 > 'mdash', 'ouml', etc, so I would expect some standard DTD or
 > stylesheet would include them.

The first error is that it cannot find the DTD.  The rest are a result of
that.  Install docbook-xml, then change
"http://nwalsh.com/docbook/xml/4.1.2/db3xml.dtd"; to
"/usr/share/sgml/docbook/dtd/xml/4.1.2/docbookx.dtd" in jargon.xml.

I did this, and was able to run the xmlto step successfully, i.e., it created
jargon-web.txt.  I had other problems because I had none of the programs
listed in the TOOLS variable in the makefile, e.g., getversion, name-extract,
wraptext.  HTH.

--
Neil Roeth