Re: New package w3c-dtd-xhtml

Frederic Schutz <schutz@mathgen.ch> writes:

> I don't see that happening on my system... But I have an idea about where
> the problem may come from : remember that I didn't bump the package revision
> number (-1) after your critiques -- and in the first version, my centralised
> catalog referenced these files (.../1.0/xhtml.soc, etc), while the new
> version references .../1.0/catalog, etc. So perhaps you installed the new
> version but still have the catalog from the previous one ? Have you tried
> to purge the package and reinstall the one you uploaded ?

Ok, yes, that was it.  This points to a bug in your maintainer
scripts.  Here's a discussion about it I recently cited to Ardo.  It
might be of general interest.

Suppose version 1 of 'mydtd' provides entries in it's package's
central catalog for catalogs a, b, c and d.  Version 2 has changed, so
now we supply entries for catalogs a, c, d, and e.  Note that catalog
b is gone.  Ok, so on the upgrade from version 1 to version 2, this
happens:

 1.prerm removes pkg central catalog entry from super catalog

 2.postinst resets the pkg central catalog (removes all entries)
            adds the current set of entries
            adds central cat to supercat

If we didn't have that rm -f line, we wouldn't be resetting the
central catalog.

I guess we could do it a bit differently, if you think it might be
better, e.g.,:

 1.prerm clears all known entries in the pkg central catalog
         removes pkg central catalog entry from super catalog

 2.postinst adds the current set of entries to pkg central cat
            adds central cat to supercat