Re: RH XML catalog registration policies

On , January 14, Adam DiCarlo wrote:

> This might be interesting to compare and critique:
>
>   http://xmlsoft.org/guidelines.html#Package

I've indeed installed RH 8 and have taken many careful looks at how
they (Daniel, actually) do XML catalog registration.

I can say that it works, but it strikes me as not really taking full
advantage of the delegation features inherent in the XML Catalog
spec. (Adam pointed this out in an earlier message - and I very much
agree with him here.)

It's more like our old, pre-LSB SGML catalog system than it is like
the current, hierarchical SGML catalog system - which in itself has
some minor problems and is IMO in some ways very non-debian like.

Modulo the typos and unavoidable conceptual errors, I believe that the
basic ideas behind my proposal are consistent with Adam's dictum:

  [...] to look not just at "how can it be done" but also "how can it
  best be done".  By "best", I mean, the way of doing XML catalog
  registration that leads to the most robust system.

Now that we have a base from which to start, through further
discussion we can hopefully develop an XML catalog system that is
truly robust. But then I'm an optimist:)

Cheers,
Mark

P.S. Many thanks to all who've NMU'd my packages.
Mark Johnson        <mark@duke.edu>
Debian XML/SGML     <mrj@debian.org>
Home Page:          <http://dulug.duke.edu/~mark/>
GPG fp: 50DF A22D 5119 3485 E9E4  89B2 BCBC B2C8 2BE2 FE81