jade and autoconf

I'm running into a problem and I don't see how to fix it, hopefully
someone here has the necessary clue..

For the dpkg documentation I intend to use a central autoconf-generated
file which lists all the paths that dpkg is configured with. This
file can then be included by all DocBook documents.

You can find the current setup in CVS: look at the man/paths.ent.in
and man/en/dpkg.cfg.5.sgml files.

The problem I have is that things break if I try to generate HTML or
man manpages from a seperate build directory, since jade will follow
the relative path for paths.ent from the location of the sgml file
(which is in the source directory) and not from the current (build)
directory.

Does anyone know of an approach to solve this problem?

Wichert.