Re: Formation of SGML/XML Policy Group

On Thursday, May 2, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >>"Mark" == Mark Johnson <mrj@debian.org> writes:
>
>  Mark> I'm thinking it'd make good sense to make some sort of official policy
>  Mark> document, with associated author group, to compose a new Debian policy
>  Mark> for packaging, implementation, etc., of XML, SGML, and related stuff.
>
>  Mark> I haven't a clue how to make this happen, which is why I'm writing
>  Mark> you.
>
> 	I would leave the composition of this group to the experts we

I agree. And that group would be us: the ones who
package/develop/implement the xml/sgml stuff. In other words, the
people I cc'd on this message, plus a few others.

>  [...] The way it generally happens is that the group of experts,
>  and the package maintainers of related packages, come up with a
>  working policy. Then comes a testing phase, during which the policy
>  is either a part of some package, or is a separate package by
>  itself, and may be referred to in the policy document as a
>  recommendation.

Sounds to me like you're telling us to keep on doing what we're
doing. Then, at some point, we declare it to be sufficiently finished
and include or package it separately.

In the meantime, there isn't anything official. The closest being the
draft from last spring:

 http://people.debian.org/~mrj/sgml-policy-draft/

> 	Finally, when things settle down, and the new subpolicy does
>  not change, it is subsumed into the actual policy package, and is
>  distributed as official policy; from that point on generic policy
>  change protocol has to be followed to amend the document.
>
> 	Does this clarify things?

Kind of. But I can tell you that it'll be at least a year before the
SGML/XML policy becomes anything near stable. It has to track LSB,
which is currently up in the air.

I guess we'll just keep on keepin' on, and make the big announcement
when the time comes.

Thanks muchly,
Mark