Re: State of the art in Docbook-XSL

Hi Michael!

[...]

    Michael> Currently, you'll probably get better PDF output from
    Michael> Jade/Openjade and the DSSSL stylesheets (which you can
    Michael> use with XML, not just SGML).

I was using the DSSSL stylesheet but I got some annoying "bugs" (like
no support for "bottom-of-page" footnotes), and prefer to put my time
on a technology with more long term support like XSL.

    >> What about long term development?

    Michael> The open source XSL-FO engines (FOP and Passivetex) ain't
    Michael> quite there yet, but still, IMHO, the world would start
    Michael> to be a better place if more people tried to make the
    Michael> move away from DSSSL to the XSL toolchain.

Well, I hope I help to make the world a better place than ;).

    Michael> Norm and other DocBook Open Repository developers working
    Michael> on the DocBook stylesheets are focused on the XSL
    Michael> stylesheets, not DSSSL.

That's the main reason of my switch from DSSSL to XSL.

    Michael> The more people who use the XSL-FO toolchain, the more
    Michael> more incentive there will be for improvement of the
    Michael> existing open-source XSL-FO engines and/or development of
    Michael> alternative ones.

    Michael> There are a couple proprietary engines -- RenderX XEP and
    Michael> the XSL-FO implementation in Arbortext Epic -- that
    Michael> pretty much work flawlessly. So a good complete
    Michael> open-source implementation of the spec is do-able.

I don't think passivetex will be able to implement everything... it's
really a different technology.  But I very like the ideas behind it
and TeX is a so much great typesetting system.  There is also the
Db2Latex stylesheets which looks very great too, if I can't make them
work...  Too exclusive to docbook however.  But my first version of my
RPG manual was in latex and I still miss a lot the quality of those
version.  Current stylesheet aren't just quite to the typographical
quality of LaTeX (no offense Norm!) although yet very good, especially
with passivetex.

[...]

    Michael> xsltproc is a great for working with DocBook, Xalan
    Michael> isn't.  There's been a known bug for a while now that
    Michael> makes some features of the DocBook XSL stylesheets
    Michael> unusable with Xalan. There have been some bugs with
    Michael> xsltproc and the stylesheets, but once Daniel Veillard is
    Michael> able to reproduce them, he fixes them very quickly. Saxon
    Michael> also works with DocBook.

Encoding support (especially re-encoding) seems to be better in Saxon,
but the current support of xsltproc seems just adequate for me.

    Michael> There hasn't been significant new development on
    Michael> Passivetex in a long time, despite known reproducable
    Michael> bugs and lots of enhancement requests.  Its sole
    Michael> developer, Sebastian Rahtz, doesn't have time to work on
    Michael> it, I guess, and nobody else has jumped in to help out.

The version I upload has a CVS date of 2002/08/10... Sebastian is
currently in vacancy 'til 9 september but I don't think we can said
passivetex is dead.  However, I think that some inherent limitation of
the implementation will never make it a completely compliant XSL-FO
processor, lack which are, IMHO, far compensated by the use of TeX
has the final rendering engine.

[...]

    Michael> If/when PSGML and whatever other open-source XML tools
    Michael> begin to support schema syntax other than DTDs, it would
    Michael> be great if instead of W3C XML Schema, they started by
    Michael> supporting RELAX NG, which is every bit as powerful (or
    Michael> more) than the W3C XML Schema language, but massively
    Michael> easier to learn and use and to implement support for in
    Michael> tools.

Have to look at them, then...  The problem between DTD vs. XML Schema
is they have a very different philosophy for the representation of
Data and so the translation is not trivial and I still prefer the XML
Schema design.  But has long as PSGML doesn't support them, I will not
switch my DTD to them.

Ciao!
Fabien
--
Fabien Niñoles                              Debian Maintainer
fabien@debian.org                       http://www.debian.org