Re: DocBook/SGML tools broken?

Ian Zimmerman <itz@speakeasy.org> writes:

> Roger> Hello, I hope it's appropriate to ask this here.  Are the
> Roger> DocBook/SGML/jade tools functional currently in Debian (testing
> Roger> and unstable)?  I ask because they recently broke in my testing
> Roger> and unstable installations:
>
> Roger> 1.  When I use db2html, I get a manual produced, but the
>
> Roger> 2. db2ps fails:
>
> Roger> 3. db2pdf completes without error, but there are no included
>
> Well, have you tried to use jade directly?

I'm not sure that I'm using all the needed options, because I've not
totally deciphered how `jw' calls jade yet, but I get:

$ jade -c /etc/sgml/catalog -t tex -d
/usr/share/sgml/docbook/utils-0.6.9/docbook-utils.dsl -o test.tex <
users-guide-eps.sgml
$ jadetex test.tex
[repeat jadetex twice]
$ dvips test.dvi -o test.ps
This is dvips(k) 5.86e Copyright 2001 Radical Eye Software (www.radicaleye.com)
' TeX output 2002.04.18:1411' -> test.ps
<texc.pro><8r.enc><texps.pro><special.pro><color.pro>. [1] [2] [3] [4] [1]
[2] [3<figures/gimp_startup.eps>
dvips: ! expected to see %%EndBinary at end of data

This fails on both new and old, both known working, versions of the
file.  I have docbook-utils, and everything is up-to-date, AFAICT.
I can preview the dvi file with dvips, but it is corrupted somewhere,
possibly by jadetex?

The document in question is in the gimp-print-4.2.0.tar.gz tarball,
available from http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net
If you
./configure --without-gimp --enable-maintainer-mode
make clean
make -C doc/users_guide
it will rebuild the manuals.  Unfortunately, the debian package is
built with cvs-buildpackage, which requires building all the docs from scratch.

Regards,
Roger

--
Roger Leigh