Re: Use of SGML for documentation (Re: potato -> woody upgrade not smooth...)

On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 01:44:15AM -0400, mdanish@andrew.cmu.edu wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 07, 2001 at 05:14:43PM -0400, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > > LISP is a data-representation format.
> >
> > I don't think I was advocating using SGML or any related technology as a
> > general-purpose data-representation format (as some have insisted XML is).
> >
> I cooked up a quick example for you... see the 3 attached files.

I think you may have misunderstood me.  What I said was that SGML wasn't
competing as a general-purpose data-representation format (or a programming
language, for that matter).  I am well aware of LISP's capabilities in those
areas.

If you'd prefer to write LISP forms that generate SGML, the resulting SGML
should be equally useful.  Your example contained the same conceptual
information as its output.  You'd have to evaluate it first to check whether
the output was syntactically valid (according to the DTD), though.

--
 - mdz