Re: Use of SGML for documentation (Re: potato -> woody upgrade not smooth...)

On Sat, Jul 07, 2001 at 01:14:05PM -0400, mdanish@andrew.cmu.edu wrote:

> Okay, I have taken a look at debiandoc, but I have an issue: What I had been
> envisioning is some sort of quick-reference chart that you could print out in
> one or two pages and put on up your wall :) I really don't see how debiandoc
> (or even DocBook, Wichert) fits into this, it seems to be meant for
> outputting a nice book format style document.  Is there some sort of
> "document class", or whatever they call it, for this?

I agree that debiandoc (if we are to continue to use it) needs something like
this.  It is simple enough, though, that looking at a few documents written
with it is sufficient to get you started.

I'm pretty sure there are a few quick-reference documents for DocBook.

> > > And if I want to write data in an easily manipulatable form, I use Lisp.
> >
> > I refuse to believe that you're advocating writing documentation in LISP.
> LISP is a data-representation format.

I don't think I was advocating using SGML or any related technology as a
general-purpose data-representation format (as some have insisted XML is).

--
 - mdz