Re: ITP: lib-arbortext-java -- sgml catalog classes for xslt

/ Ian Zimmerman <itz@speakeasy.org> was heard to say:
| Mark> I plan to package Norm Walsh's Arbortext Catalog Classes to
| Mark> provide sgml catalog support to lib-xt-java and to the saxon
| Mark> package I'm working on.
[...]
| I have just run saxon (from your package) on my document for the first
| time, and it seems to understand entity references (including standard
| ISO entities, which are presumably included in the DTD [docbk] through
| a public ID) without further ado.
|
| This seems almost too good to be true.  What exactly are the arbortext
| classes needed for?

The classes allow you to use a catalog-based entity resolver to
provide local redirection of entities. For example, given:

  <!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.1//EN"
            "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.1.2/docbookx.dtd";>

I don't really want to go hit the OASIS website to get the DTD, it's
right here on the local disk in "file:/.../docbookx.dtd" (In fact, I'm
currently climbing out of 28,000 feet heading for Seattle and hitting
the OASIS website is only a technical possibility, but I still want
to parse documents.) And I don't want to edit the document. So the
catalog classes read an OASIS TR9401 Catalog and allow you to remap
them.

I've got a new set of classes that provide both entity and URI
resolution (something the Arbortext classes don't provide) that use
the new OASIS Entity Resolution committee[1]'s XCatalog format.

I now have approval to publish them and will be doing a binary release
as soon as I'm back in my office with a source release to follow asap
afterwards.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

[1] http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/entity/