Re: SGML validation in emacs

Bob,

Now I see the problem -- I misinterpreted what you were asking.

 The quick answer is that you can only validate the parent doc -
 fancy.xml in your case.

Notice that when psgml is finished parsing (and you've regained
control of emacs) that one buffer contains the parent doc. This is
always the case. Simply switch your buffer to fancy.xml & validate.

That psgml/nsgmls works this way makes good sense. Think it through
and you'll see why it must work this way.

Good luck, and thanks for shopping Debian GNU/Linux.

Mark

> > You can tell psgml that the current doc has a parent, and it'll look
> > in the parent for the doctype declaration. Put something like this at
> > the bottom of your rescue-boot.sgml file:
> >
> > <!-- Keep this comment at the end of the file
> > Local variables:
> > mode: sgml
> > sgml-parent-document:("install.sgml" "book" "chapter")
> > End:
> > -->
>
> I have split up an xml website dtd document and can't get the above
> cited trick to work. I have used only a 'SYSTEM' identifier for the
> website dtd in the parent. I have made sure there are no comments in
> the parent.
>
> My psgmls 'validate' command works great on the parent, btw; and, it
> ripples through all the included 'child' docs too. I've even tried
> using an absolute path for the parent in the 'sgml-parent-document'.
>
> Here's one of the smaller children:
> [...]
>
> Nsgmls cannot find 'fancy.xml', and psgmls cannot find it either, say,
> if I try to parse the DTD.

Mark Johnson
Duke Physics        <mark@duke.edu>
Debian SGML         <mrj@debian.org>
Home Page:          <http://dulug.duke.edu/~mark/>
GPG fp: 50DF A22D 5119 3485 E9E4  89B2 BCBC B2C8 2BE2 FE81