Re: Loops in catalogs

Christian Lemer <chris@ucmb.ulb.ac.be> writes:

> Please, is this is a RTFM question, just help me to find the
> chapter.... because I couldn't.

It's a bug.  Why would we document a bug rather than fix it?
Cf the bugs against sgml-base.

I had a conversation with Ardo about this.  He had a fix for most of
these problems.  You might try removing sgmltools* (is it sgmltools-2?
I forget).  Or read on.

> Since then, jade complains about
>
> jade:/usr/lib/sgml/catalog:2:8:E: CATALOG entries cause loop
>
> and the sgml mode of emacs (psmgl) loops forever after reading the
> catalog.
>
> I'm using debian on a laptop and use the 'unstable' version because I
> need it for last hardware support.

That's a lame reason, IMHO.  You can run stable with whatever kernels
you want.  For 2.4 support, there are only a few packages you need to
pick out from unstable.

You're running unstable, therefore, you're getting bit with a bug.  A
crippling one.  That's what happens when you run unstable.

> I try to solve the problem by removing the conflicting line, but then,
> most of the documents complains about missing information...
>
> I read a lot of the documentation but couldn't find who to regenerate
> the catalog files.

There is no command to regenerate them.  They are generated by
update-catalog.  But they can't be "regenerated".  They can be hand
edited though. To do that:

> -- AUTOMATICALLY GENERATED, DO NOT EDIT --
> CATALOG "/usr/lib/sgml/catalog"

Remove this line.

> CATALOG /etc/sgml/transitional.cat

Move transitional.cat to /usr/lib/sgml and reference it there.

> CATALOG /usr/lib/sgml/stylesheet/dsssl/sgmltools/sgmltools.cat
> CATALOG /etc/sgml/sgml-data.cat
> CATALOG /etc/sgml/docbook-xml.cat
> CATALOG /etc/sgml/docbook.cat

> /usr/lib/sgml/catalog

This should be a symlink to /etc/sgml/catalog.

--
.....Adam Di Carlo....adam@onshore.com.....<URL:http://www.onshored.com/>